We are based in Melbourne, Victoria but our students are from all around Australia and the world. Each year, we have a group of international students and Study Abroad / Exchange who are keenly involved in College life.
Life at Mannix
International and Study Abroad / Exchange students lead a range of activities to share and celebrate diverse cultures with the broader Mannix community. Each semester all students organise a great calendar of social events, as well as guest speakers, workshops and more. These are wonderful opportunities to meet new people and make lifelong friends, from Australia and from all around the world.
Moving to a new city or country to study can be a big change. We have dedicated staff to assist international and Study Abroad / Exchange students every step of the way. Onsite peer support and counselling services are also available.
Mannix offers different accommodation options and durations depending on your student type so please take a moment to check out the table below to see what you are eligible to enjoy with us.
|Student Type||Length of Stay||Accommodation Options|
|Domestic Undergraduate||2 semesters||Residential Floors|
|International Undergraduate||1 semester or less||Gryphon House|
|International Undergraduate||2 semesters||Residential Floors|
|Domestic Postgraduate||2 semesters||Gryphon House|
|International Postgraduate||1 semester or less||Gryphon House|
|International Postgraduate||2 semesters||Gryphon House|
|Study Abroad / Exchange||1 semester or less||Gryphon House|
|Study Abroad / Exchange||2 semesters||Residential Floors|
About Gryphon House
Gryphon House at Mannix College offers an independent yet supported residential experience on the doorstep of Monash University’s Clayton campus.
Gryphon House Residents enjoy architecturally designed modern apartments and a beautiful shared common space where you can study, relax and socialise. You will also be part of the Mannix community and can connect with our many services, supports and social opportunities.
What’s Included for Gryphon House Residents
Your own 23sqm room with:
– Queen bed and bedside table
– Flat-screen television and mini-bar fridge
– Split cycle air conditioning
– Built-in desk, chair and shelving
– Fully equipped en-suite bathroom
– Wardrobe and drawers
– Internet access
– Smoke alarm, automatic sprinkler, locks on all doors and windows
– Iron and ironing board
– Lounge chair and coffee table
- 20 meals per week, lovingly prepared by our College chefs and served in our Dining Hall
- 24/7 access to the College pastoral care and security services
- Social lounge with desktop computer and television plus kitchen area that includes a microwave, refrigerator, sink, bench space and dishwasher
- Access to all College flagship programs and events, including tutorials, sports, Formal Dinners, and social activities, offering you plenty of opportunities to settle in, enhance your learning and make life-long friends.
- Access to College facilities, including sports court, library, gym, study rooms, social lounges, laundry facilities, gardens and secure bike shed
- Weekly room cleaning
- Linen, including sheets, pillows, blankets, a duvet and towels
- Learn more about how to apply here
- Learn more about fees here
The following are eligible to apply to reside in Gryphon House:
- Undergraduate International, Study Abroad, Exchange and Global Intercampus students who want a one semester residential contract AND intend to or are currently enrolled in an on-campus Bachelor degree at Monash University
- Postgraduate students who intend to or are currently enrolled in an on-campus postgraduate degree at Monash University
You must also be over the age of 18.
You can apply before you have received a study offer from the University, but you will need to provide evidence of your enrolment at Monash University prior to moving in and signing a residency agreement.
For information about how to apply, please click here.
The application process consists of 3 steps – prepare, apply, and outcome. Applications for 2023 open on 2 August 2022.
Step 1: Prepare
In order for your application to be accepted, you will be required to provide the following supporting documentation:
- A profile photo (headshot for identification) in either JPEG or PNG.
- All transcripts from any university study you have undertaken, if any [PDF]
- An academic and character reference [download template] [PDF]
Examples of acceptable referees are: University academic or professional staff member, School Principal, School Deputy / Vice Principal, School Careers Advisor, School Counsellor or School Teacher. References from employers are not ideal.
Your referee can use the above templates linked above or provide a reference on a school or business letterhead. Your referee may prefer to send their reference confidentially to the College which we will happily receive and attach to your application. Referees can email their reference to email@example.com.
Please contact the College if you have any problems providing a reference.
Step 2: Apply
Applications are completed via our Accommodation Portal. The completion of your application will also require payment of the non-refundable application fee of $50. You will receive a confirmation email once you submit your application. If you do not receive an email, please contact the College.
Step 3: Outcome
You will be advised of the outcome of your application within 10 business days of submitting your application. You may receive an unconditional offer or be placed on the waiting list.
Accepting Your Offer
You must accept your conditional offer within 5 business days of receiving your offer email or the offer will lapse. As part of this you must pay an Accommodation Bond of $1000 which reserves your place at Mannix.
After you accept your offer you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing you have reserved your place at Mannix. You will also unlock access to The Mannix Insider, an occasional email which will offer you glimpses of the College life that awaits you next year.
Each year the number of applications for a place at Mannix significantly exceeds available places. You are encouraged to apply for a College place as early as possible. Once we have offered all of our available accommodation places, new applicants will automatically be added to the waitlist. Students on the waitlist are encouraged to remain in contact with the College.
If you choose to withdraw your place before offers are sent please let us know so that another student may benefit from being offered your place.
What is the Accommodation Bond?
An Accommodation Bond of $1000 secures and maintains your place at Mannix. For residents, the full Accommodation Bond is refundable at the end of the residency period if all requirements of the Residency Agreement and Conditions of Residency have been met.